What is Integrated Pest Management (IPM)?// here is the normal content // ?>
IPM= Integrated Pest Management
What does IPM do for me?
IPM reduces pest problems in an environmentally friendly way.
How do I use IPM?
- Diversify your plantings.
- Watch for early signs of pest damage.
- Tolerate light insect feeding.
Where do I start with IPM?
Try Cultural methods first:
- Select plants that are appropriate for each location and provide proper water and nutrition.
- Plant a diverse group of trees, shrubs and perennials.
- Choose plants bred for resistance to insect pests and diseases.
- Allow Beneficial insects to do their job: Tolerate spiders, wasps, and ladybird beetles around the property. Provide food and shelter for beneficial insects by planting a variety of plants (especially perennials).
If those don’t work, Chemical control can be used as a last resort:
- Use less toxic pesticides like horticultural oil and insecticidal soap to preserve beneficial insects.
- Remember, when using pesticides follow all label directions carefully, the label is the law.