Is Your Family Ready for a Hurricane or Other Disaster?// here is the normal content // ?>
With a powerful hurricane coming toward the Eastern United States, and more tropical depressions in the Atlantic, now is a good time to think about weather preparedness. Check weather updates on local news, the National Hurricane Center website https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/, or https://www.udel.edu/udaily/. Make a plan today. Your family may not be together if a disaster strikes, so it is important to know which types of disasters could affect your area; hurricanes, flooding, tornadoes, etc. Know how you’ll contact one another and reconnect if separated. Establish a family meeting place that’s familiar and easy to find.
- Put together a plan, know where it is
- Consider specific needs in your household
- Fill out a family emergency plan document
For University of Delaware specific information such as closings: https://www.udel.edu/udaily/.
- Ready.Gov – Plan Ahead for Disasters
- Ready.Gov – Pets and Animals
- USDA Urges Local Residents to Safeguard Food, Pets, Livestock before Hurricane Florence
- The Extension Disaster Education Network (EDEN) can help, also follow them @EDENtweets.
- More information is available at Delaware Emergency Management: http://www.dema.delaware.gov/ . Follow DEMA on Twitter for frequent updates @DelawareEMA
- WxRisk.com is a private, subscription, Weather Forecasting Company.