A Day in the Garden – Sussex County Open House// here is the normal content // ?>
2014 Open House “A Day in the Garden” is scheduled for Saturday, July 12, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Each year in July, Sussex County Master Gardeners host “A Day in the Garden” in their beautiful teaching Demonstration Garden, located at the Sussex County Extension office at the Carvel Research and Education Center in Georgetown. Directly behind the Carvel facility, the garden pathways that meander around specialty gardens, shade and sun, benches and garden art welcome area gardeners of all ages. It is the time to explore, take pictures, learn about varieties of trees, shrubs, perennials, annuals and vegetables and that work well in the Delaware landscape.
Special events this year include:
Cooperative Extension Centennial Celebration with Door Prizes
UDairy Creamery Ice Cream available for sale from the MooMobile!
Four Mini Workshops all in one day! Free!
- 10 a.m.: Making Garden Signs – Make small garden signs from materials you have at home!
- 11 a.m. Making Garden Stepping Stones – From a real leaf from the garden and concrete, make a quick and easy stepping stone!
- Noon: How to Garden Working with Nature – How to incorporate native plants and chemical-free gardening to attract wildlife!
- 1 p.m. What’s Eating My Garden? – Our IPM expert will take you on a tour to identify the beneficial and insect pests in the landscape!
Special Children Events
- 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. The award winning “The Misadventures of Peter Rabbit in Farmer McGregor’s Garden
- 11:30 a.m. Insect Safari! See bugs, bees, butterflies and other lively creatures!
Come see what we’ve designed, planted and cultivated. There is always something new! Do you have a plant that’s under the weather, or not cooperating with the weather? Bring it to our Sick Plant Clinic mini-workshops, exhibits, services and experts will be on hand. Visit our plant sale and take home a new plant to enjoy in your garden!
Please view our 2014 YouTube invitation and the slide show of images from A Day in The Garden!
See you on Saturday, July 12!