A Day in the Garden – Sussex County Open House// here is the normal content // ?>
Look how we’ve changed!
2016 Open House “A Day in the Garden” is scheduled for Saturday, July 16, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Free!
Join us for this fun, family event. There’s something for the whole family! Come and see how the garden has changed and grown since your last visit! See our new Dry Shade Garden and our Outdoor Man Cave. Learn about bees and butterflies and learn how to attract them to your garden. Shop the plant sale! Attend our free mini-workhops. Play hopscotch in the Children’s Garden. Enjoy ice cream from the University of Delaware UDCreamery’s Moo Mobile (free to children under 16 with a coupon from Farmer McGregor). Bring your camera! Registration to attend is not necessary! This event is Rain or Shine!
Four Mini Workshops All in One Day! Free!
- 10:15 a.m. Orchids. Learn about orchids and how to grow them, by Jerry Jurewicz
- 11:00 a.m. Making Bee Houses. Learn how to make a bee house, then build your own, while supplies last, by Linda Peters and Brent Marsh
- 11:30 a.m. Cooking from the Garden. How to prepare food grown locally, how to select, store, use vegetables and herbs, by Nancy Foster
- 12:00 p.m. Miniature Gardens. All aspects of miniature gardens will be discussed, and there will be examples to show, by Mary Noel
- 12:30 p.m. Worm Composting. Learn about indoor composting with worms, the environmental benefits and how to set up and maintain your own worm bin, by Judy Pfister
- 1:00 p.m. Making Bee Houses. Repeat! Learn how to make a bee house, then build your own, while supplies last, by Linda Peters and Brent Marsh
Events this year include:
Check out the bee hotels around our garden
Outdoor Man Cave
Dry Shade Garden
Vertical Garden Display
UDairy Creamery Ice Cream available for sale from the MooMobile!
Ask an Expert – Sick Plant Clinic
Special Children Events
- The international award winning “The Misadventures of Peter Rabbit in Farmer McGregor’s Garden” will show at 10:30 a.m. and 12:15 p.m. Kids, ask Farmer McGregor for a coupon for free ice cream!
Come see what we’ve designed, planted and cultivated. There is a lot new this year! Do you have a plant that’s under the weather, or not cooperating with the weather? Bring it to our Sick Plant Clinic. Visit our plant sale and take home a new plant to enjoy in your garden!
Please view the slide show of images from 2015’s A Day in The Garden! You’ll be amazed at all the new additions this year!
See you on Saturday, July 16!