Master Food Educator Volunteer Program// here is the normal content // ?>
Master Food Educator Volunteers are foods or nutrition professionals or individuals without professional training who have an interest in nutrition, food preparation, health, wellness, and the education of youth and adults. Provided with training, these individuals help to expand the nutrition education efforts of University of Delaware Cooperative Extension by working in their communities and organizations and by assisting with the ongoing initiatives of our organization.
Volunteer candidates must apply and complete the 36 hour training. Once a volunteer you’ll complete 40 hours of volunteer time over the next year. Most volunteers choose to continue to work with University of Delaware Cooperative Extension even after their initial obligation is completed.
Volunteer Master Food Educators decide how they would like to contribute their time.
Ongoing projects include:
- Staffing Educational Displays – at locations such as Delaware State Fair, Ag Day, Newark Community Day, health fairs and expos at schools and businesses.
- Assisting with or Conducting Workshops or Demonstrations – on topics such as food safety, foods selection/preparation, nutrition and diet, stretching your food dollar and others.
- Other opportunities – include assisting with the development of educational resources, taking leadership positions, photographing events where Master Food Educators volunteer.
Upcoming Master Food Educator Volunteer Training:
Current Master Food Educator Initiatives
Workshops at local organizations and libraries include:
- Would Your Kitchen Pass a Food Safety Inspection
- Meal Time in Less Time
- Getting the Most out of Eating Locally
- Boning Up on Health
- Cooking for One or Two
- Cooking from the Garden series
A complete list of topics can be found here: Nutrition, Health and Food Safety Speakers Bureau Topics
Educational Displays at Public Events:
- A Day in the Garden
- Newark Community Day
- Ag Day – University of Delaware College of Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Coast Day
- Delaware Diabetes EXPO
- Heart of Good Health EXPO, Laurel
- Harrington Heritage Days
- 4-H Farm Tour
Providing Demonstration and Food Preparation Assistance for UD Extension Programs Statewide:
- Dining with Diabetes
- Judging 4-H foods projects for State Fair
- Urban Gardening Initiative – helping gardeners know how to harvest and prepare their produce safely and to use it in healthy recipes.