Master Food Educator Volunteers are foods or nutrition professionals or individuals without professional training who have an interest in nutrition, food preparation, health, wellness, and the education of youth and adults. Provided with training, these individuals help to expand the nutrition education efforts of University of Delaware Cooperative Extension by working in their communities and organizations and by assisting with the ongoing initiatives of our organization.
Volunteer candidates must apply and complete the 42 hour training. Once a volunteer you’ll complete 40 hours of volunteer time over the next year. Most volunteers choose to continue to work with University of Delaware Cooperative Extension even after their initial obligation is completed.
Volunteer Master Food Educators decide how they would like to contribute their time.
- Staffing Educational Displays – at locations such as Delaware State Fair, Ag Day, Newark Community Day, health fairs and expos at schools and businesses.
- Assisting with or Conducting Workshops or Demonstrations - on topics such as food safety, foods selection/preparation, nutrition and diet, stretching your food dollar and others.
- School Based Educational Programs – presenting on topics such as nutrition, food safety, and wellness curriculum.
- Other opportunities – include assisting with the development of educational resources, taking leadership positions, photographing events where Master Food Educators volunteer.
Upcoming Master Food Educator Volunteer Training:
- Kent/Sussex Counties Training Information 2014 [pdf]
- •New Castle County Training Information 2014 [pdf]
Current Master Food Educator Initiatives
- Would Your Kitchen Pass a Food Safety Inspection
- Meal Time in Less Time
- Getting the Most out of Eating Locally
- Boning Up on Health
- Clueless in the Kitchen series
- Cooking from the Garden series
A complete list of topics can be found here: Nutrition and Food Safety Speakers Bureau Topics
To request a talk use this form: Speaker Bureau Request form
- A Day in the Garden
- Dupont Chemical Safety Fairs – various sites
- Newark Community Day
- Ag Day – University of Delaware College of Agriculture and Natural Resources
- FMC BioPolymer Employee Health and Safety Fair
- New Castle Library Resource Fair
- Dining with Diabetes
- Eat Smart for a Healthy Heart
- Food Preservation 101
- Water Bath Canning
- Making Jams and Jellies
- Judging 4-H foods projects for State Fair
- Providing nutrition education programs for Delaware State Park jockeys
- Urban Gardening Initiative – helping gardeners know how to harvest and prepare their produce safely and to use it in healthy recipes.