Sussex County Master Gardeners plan Open House on July 13// here is the normal content // ?>
The Master Gardeners of Sussex County will host their annual Open House in the demonstration gardens behind the Carvel Center at 16483 County Seat Highway (Route 9) in Georgetown on Saturday, July 13, from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.
There will be activities for children, including a Peter Rabbit puppet show, as well as demonstrations on gardening and cooking tips for adults. Learn about pollinators and Bees! Master Gardeners will be available to answer questions and to provide information about the various sections of the garden that exhibit trees, shrub, perennials, annuals, and vegetables that do well in Delaware. Choose from a wide variety of plants at the plant sale.
The public is invited to stroll through the paths that link special areas — a children’s garden, a sensory garden, an annual/perennial border, a native plant garden, a shade garden and more — or to sit on one of the benches and watch the insects and wildlife interact with the setting.
For children, this year’s highlights include:
- Insect Safari (come hunting with us for the creatures that live in the back yard.) Bring your camera!
- Meet Mr. and Mrs. Turtle, courtesy of the Delaware Council of Wildlife Rehabilitators and Educators.
- Participate in a Scavenger Hunt
- Scheduled performances of Peter Rabbit and Farmer McGregor
Educational workshop topics include:
- 10 a.m. Accessible Gardening. Learn how to Garden Smart, Garden Easy
- 11 a.m. What are Invasive Plants and how do you control them?
- Noon Insect Safari- children and adults – bring your camera!
- 1 p.m. Hostas!
Master Gardeners will also raffle some exciting items! Currently on the list are:
- Garden gift basket with miscellaneous items
- Coffee table book donated by Kent County
- Hypertufa planted with succulents
- Garden kneeler
Master Gardeners are members of the community who have received extensive training in order to extend the home garden outreach of Delaware Cooperative Extension. Information also is available online. Visit: http://extension.udel.edu/lawngarden/. View photos from the 2012 Open House below!
It is the policy of the Delaware Cooperative Extension System that no person shall be subjected to discrimination on the grounds of race, color, sex, disability, age or national origin.
Here are photos from the 2012 Open House!Print This Post