Fruit and Vegetable Open House – August 2, 2014// here is the normal content // ?>
The University of Delaware Cooperative Extension members of the agricultural community to see and hear about many of the UD’s Extension Vegetable and Fruit Program’s field research projects from the 2014 season. The program will be held on Thursday, August 21, 2014, from 4 to 8 p.m. at the Carvel Research and Education Center, 16483 County Seat Highway in Georgetown. Program highlights:
- Watermelons: seedless variety trial, pollenizers, growth regulators, compost, irrigation, root stocks, hollow heart
- Sweet Corn: processing corn nitrogen, tillage trials
- Lima Beans: tillage, stress mitigation, rhizobium inoculants, regrowth cropping, variety evaluation and breeding for pole, Fordhook and baby lima types will be discussedPickles: parthenocarpic and gynoecious variety trials
- Other: onion variety trials, zucchini variety trials
- Fruit: blueberries, grapes, blackberries
We will also have graduate students on hand to discuss their research in these areas: Phytophthora capsici in lima beans, root knot nematodes in lima beans, and watermelon fruit set.
Dinner featuring local produce will be served. This program is sponsored by the Fruit and Vegetable Growers Association of Delaware. Please pre-register by contacting Karen Adams at302-856-2585 ext.