The days are short, the air is frigid, and the garden is quiet and cold. Are you counting the days until the garden wakes up? Wouldn’t it be nice to have an unexpected warm day, a clear trail to the compost pile, or an early spring bloom? Until the weather turns, overcome your “winter blues” in the company of like-minded gardeners that have similar feelings at this time of year. Our Master Gardener volunteers have anticipated your need for all things “green” and they’ve prepared a schedule of home gardener workshops this winter to keep you engaged until the snow melts away, the soil becomes softer, and the early blooming plants begin to emerge.
- Houseplant Care – Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2014. 1 p.m. Sussex County. Click here to register
Bring your tired, your sick or your just plain lousy looking houseplants for a little TLC! With Master Gardener help, we’ll diagnose and remediate your specific plant problems and discuss general houseplant growing concerns.
- You Can’t Beat a Homegrown Tomato – Wednesday, Jan. 29, 2014. 6:30 p.m. New Castle County. Click here to register
Learn how to grow healthy tomatoes. It’s never too early to begin planning for a bountiful tomato garden.
- Prepare Your Landscape for Spring – Monday, Feb. 10, 2014. 7 p.m. New Castle County. Click here to register
Take the guesswork out of your Spring “to do” list. Master Gardeners will discuss landscape maintenance, pest management, early plantings, garden tools, and more.
- Blue Birds and Songbirds of Delmarva. Wednesday, Feb. 12, 2014. 7 p.m. Sussex County. Click here to register
Learn the secrets of attracting bluebirds and other songbirds to your backyard. Join Master Gardeners for a brief introduction to bluebird box designs, neighborhood bluebird trails, and the diet and additional needs of your neighborhood birds.
- Beginner Vegetable Gardening – Two Sessions! Tuesday, Feb. 25 and Thursday, Feb. 27 at 7 p.m. New Castle County. Click here to register
Join Master Gardeners for two evenings in this beginner vegetable gardening workshop. After all, what could be better than delicious, healthful vegetables fresh from your own garden? Learn about soil, site selection, tools and techniques, and of course, the vegetables. This is a great opportunity to plan your own home garden!
- Landscape Design for Your Home – Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2014. 7.p.m. Sussex County. Click here to register
Bring a photo of your landscaping problems and Master Gardeners will discuss what can be done to improve your home’s curbside appeal. Learn how to graph your own design, do your own research, and make good decisions in your landscape.
Workshops for home gardeners are offered at all three county locations. Kent County sessions will be posted soon! For additional details and registration information for all Master Gardener workshops visit the visit the Master Gardener website. Or call (302) 831-2667 in New Castle County, (302) 730-4000 for Kent County and (302) 856-2585, ext 544 in Sussex County.