Kent County Delaware residents! Step into Spring!
A friendly competition that encourages individual and community health and wellness by maintaining or adopting healthy nutrition and physical activity habits for the spring season. Step into Spring! will begin February 1 and run through May 1, 2017.
How will teams earn points?
Teams will identify strategies to improve their physical activity and eating habits. Points are assigned to a variety of healthy eating and physical activity related activities. Each week, team members will complete personal logs to track their progress and points. At the end of the month, the team leader will turn in a log with his or her team’s average monthly points. One way points can be earned is by attending Cooperative Extension programs. See a list of programs on below. A team is two or more people working towards making a change.
What are the incentives?
Participants will earn monthly prizes and the sponsoring organizations can win a cash award. The first place organizational prize is $500.00 for the most points and second place is $250.00. Winning organizations must have at least 10 participants, compete for the full three months and sponsor two Cooperative Extension programs.
How will incentives be awarded?
Team leaders will collect monthly point logs from team members and incentives will be awarded individually for participation. Additional incentives will be awarded for the best team success story.
Who can be on my team?
Any resident of Kent County aged 18 and over who is interested in improving their health through better food choices and physical activity by working together as a team. Teams must have at least two members to participate in the challenge.
How do I sign up?
If you are interested in participating in the challenge or scheduling programs for your team contact Lucy Williams or call 730-4000.
Go to //http://extension.udel.edu/fcs/healthy-living/ for more information.
Funded through grant from:
Maintain Don’t Gain! Challenge Programs
- Mindful Eating – This session offers information on sensible eating for good health and general nutrition centered around MyPlate. Length: 1.5 hours
- Portion Control: How to Indulge Without the Bulge – Portion control is the key to staying healthy. This session will identify
strategies you can use to manage portions for better health. Length: 1 hour
- Get Your Snack on Track – This session provides ideas for healthy snacking and ways to supplement your meals with those foods that will balance your diet. Length: 1 hour
- Meal Time in Less Time – This workshop will help you develop strategies to offer healthful meals for your family in less time. Being busy is no excuse for poor nutrition. Length: 1.5 hours
- Boning Up on Health – Preventing Osteoporosis – This program recognizes that what you eat as a youth impacts your health as you age. You will learn important strategies for keeping your bones strong no matter what your age. Length: 1.5 hours
Click here >>> for information on New Castle County program