The University of Delaware understands the importance of assaying soil samples for the presence of plant-parasitic nematodes. While some nematode problems can be diagnosed in the field, laboratory assay of soil and roots is typically necessary to confirm field observations and is critical in determining crop rotations. Reading nematode samples requires highly specialized expertise, is time-consuming, and can be costly. The University of Delaware is proud to be able to continue to provide this important and unique service to the mid-Atlantic region. Please know that in order to continue the service, the University of Delaware will need to impose fee increases to off-set increased costs as of September 1, 2014. To contain further costs, the UD Nematode Assay Service is currently only accepting commercial vegetable and field crop samples.
The 2014-2016 UD Vegetable and Field Crop Nematode Assay Service price structure is as follows:
|Assay||Price as of September 1, 2014|
|Vegetable and Agronomic crops Juvenile assay||$50 per sample|
|Soybean cyst nematode egg assay||$30 per sample|
|3 day rush analysis||Additional $20 per sample|
- For agronomic or vegetable samples, send samples to 151 Townsend Hall, Newark, DE 19716.
- University of Delaware Nematode Assay Information Sheet Submission Form and Instructions [ pdf ] Samples will not be processed without submission form and fee.
- Fees – checks payable to the University of Delaware or:
- **New** We can now accept credit card payments for nematode samples. Here is the link to the form, please bookmark for future use:
Note that the form is very similar to the one used for payments for soil samples. We are asking that the client include a copy of the receipt with their nematode samples as proof of payment. If the client is dropping off samples at the time he/she is paying for them, please use your email in the webform so that you can print off a copy of the receipt to include in the package.
- A 10-14 day turnaround time will be required for most samples. (A 3-day-rush analysis can be conducted for an additional $20 per sample. For troubleshooting purposes only.)
Fruit and Ornamental nematode samples from Delaware can be sent to the Virginia Tech Nematode Assay laboratory as they have agreed to accept those samples at the following address:
Nematode Assay Laboratory, 115 Price Hall
Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061-0331 Phone: (540)231-4650
Fax: (540)231-7477, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Web site: https://www.ppws.vt.edu/extension/nematode-laboratory/index.html (for sample submission fees, instructions, and forms)
Virginia Tech also has agreed to handle nematode samples from the University of Maryland. For more information visit http://extension.umd.edu/plantdiagnosticlab/nematode-management-resources-soil-samples.
Delaware Soybean Cyst Nematode Resources
Delaware Nematode Threshold and Control Fact Sheets
- Nematode Control Recommendations For Soybean 11-2012
- Nematode Control Recommendations for Corn 11-2012
- Nematode Control Recommendations for Vegetables 11-2012
Two Nematode Sampling Videos Featuring Bob Mulrooney
|How to Sample for Nematodes. Click to play.
||Diagnosing Nematode Damage in the Field|