The University of Delaware provides support to animal operations and enthusiasts throughout the state. Areas of assistance include equine, dairy, livestock, and poultry.
What We Do
Delaware equine extension programs provide Delaware equine owners and the Delaware equine industry with up-to-date, science-based information related to the care, management, and enjoyment of horses and other equine. Topics include pasture and nutrient management, equine behavior, equine health, equine nutrition, and more.
For more information on upcoming equine extension programs and projects please visit the UD Cooperative Extension Equine Blog.
Have questions about your dairy, beef, swine or sheep herd? Contact one of our professionals or check out our livestock resources below.
- 2013 Pasture Management Short Course (flyer/registration form)
- Dairy Extension Resources (including fact sheets on silage and forage quality, ruminant nutrition and ruminant physiology; dairy extension newsletters; Delmarva Dairy Days; and more)
As Delaware’s primary agriculture industry, UD is dedicated to supporting poultry growers, processors, and supporting industries.
- The poultry extension program is housed at the Carvel Research and Education Center in Georgetown, closer to the heart of the industry in lower Delaware.
- The Avian Biosciences Center at UD provides additional support to UD’s poultry extension efforts.
- The Lasher Lab provides rapid and comprehensive diagnostic services to commercial poultry producers as well as to the owners of small non-commercial hobby and backyard flocks.
4-H ANIMAL PROGRAMS
UD Animal Science Extension provides support to Delaware 4-H through technical expertise and outreach education programs in subjects such as animal husbandry, animal heath, biosecurity and quality assurance. Visit the Delaware 4-H Animal Science page.