State Fair Archery Contest// here is the normal content // ?>
Report to the PURPLE PARKING LOT at the following times to check-in:
- “Junior” participants (ages 8-10) – 2:00 p.m.
- “Intermediate” participants (ages 11-13) – 1:15 p.m.
- “Senior” participants (ages 14-19) – 12:30 p.m.
Location of Event: The PURPLE parking lot. Shuttle times will be shared in information sent to participants who register for this event. Participants can also decide to travel directly to the event site.
Qualifications: Youth ages 8 to 19 in 4-H Archery Clubs or other 4-H Shooting Sports activities. Participants must have been through 4-H Shooting Sports Archery training at a camp, club or outreach activity.
- NO HORSEPLAY ! ! !
- Direction of arrow will always be kept within suitable zone of fire towards target.
- 4-H Archery Range Rules and Procedure (Instructors manual)
- Whistle and verbal commands (Instructors manual)
- Proper method of arrow removal from target (Instructors manual)
Range set-up: Modified FITA with a variety of shooting distances
Age groups: Junior (8-10) Intermediate (11-13) Senior (14-19)
Category: Recurve and Compound bows
A. Archery Match Event
Scoring: FITA target 10-ring scoring method will apply.
Age divisions and distance of target:
Age division Distance in yards
Junior (8-10) 7.5 10 15
Intermediate (11-13) 10 15 20
Senior (14-19) 15 20 25
Shooting requirements: Each participant will shoot a total of 9 arrows. Three arrows per distance designated for age division.
B. Equipment Requirements and Limitations for Archery Match
Recurve bows and arrows will be provided, but you may bring your own. Safety equipment (arm guards and finger tabs) will be provided and required. The judges will perform a safety check on all equipment being used in the competition to assure it is safe to use.
Recurve and Compound bows will compete in separate categories.
- Recurve: One adjustable sight pin, kisser button, torque compensator permitted. No string peep sights or mechanical releases permitted.
- Compound: Mechanical release or release aids, torque compensator, peep sights and front sights permitted. Maximum draw weight of 60 pounds.
- Arrows: Must match bow being used for length and strength. Wooden arrows will not be permitted for use in compound bows. No hunting, broadheads, or expandable points are permitted.
- The judges will conduct the scoring for each participant using the FITA target 10 ring scoring method.
- The determination by the judges will be final.
- The judges have the right to disqualify a participant for unsafe or disorderly conduct.
- The judges have the right to prevent unsafe equipment from being used in the competition.
D. Tie Breaker
1. The total score at the longest distance on record will serve as the first tie breaker. The individual with the highest total score at the longest distance will take the higher placing. This tie breaker will not require any additional rounds.
2. The total number of “10 scores”, at all distances, will serve as the second tie breaker. The individual with the most “10” scores will receive the higher placing. This tie breaker will not require any additional rounds.
3. The total number of “9 scores” will serve as the third tie breaker. The individual with the more “9 scores” will receive the higher placing. This tie breaker will not require any additional rounds.
4. This practice will continue with 8,7,6,5, etc. until a tie has been broken.
E. Top Competitor Recognition
Recognition to top ten placements in each age division and bow category. (Please keep in mind that this is a learning experience and competition is secondary and that all participants are winners.)